Beet Kvass Recipe

dscn0317

Beet Kvass

Makes about one quart

A sweet and salty cultured beverage infused with all of the vitamins, minerals, and detoxifying properties of beets. Each variety of beets yields a unique brightly colored kvass (ie. bull’s blood is deep red, chioggia bright pink, and golden kvass is radiant yellow).

3 medium organic beets, any variety

1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt, finely ground

3 tablespoons whey or finished beet kvass (optional)

4-6 cups water (well, spring, or filtered)

Peel the beets. Chop them into one-inch cubes. In a half-gallon canning jar combine the beets, salt, and optional whey or kvass. Add enough water to fill the jar while leaving about two-inches of headspace. Stir with a wooden spoon to dissolve the salt. Cover with a cloth or paper towel. Secure the cover tightly with a string or rubber band. Leave at room temperature for 2 days.

Use a small ladle to skim any foam that has risen to the surface of the kvass.  Strain out the beets. (Use them to make a second batch and then discard.)

Funnel the kvass into a glass jar with a tightly fitting lid. Place a sheet of wax paper underneath the lid. (The paper prevents the acidic kvass from contacting the lid.) Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

One serving size is four ounces.

This was shared at the Probiotic Foods Challenge and the Detox Challenge.

About Dori

I develop recipes, blog, teach, and consult about gluten-free recipes, fermentation techniques, and nutrient-dense foods. Visit NourishingFoodways.com. (Some posts contain affiliate links which help to pay for this site.)
This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Beet Kvass Recipe

1. Pingback: A Lovely Kvass « Nourishing Foodways

2. cv says:

Would it work to add water kefir in place of the optional whey? Thanks!

• Dori says:

I’m sure water kefir would help to add some additional probiotic activity! It may alter the taste a little (water kefir probiotic flavor vs. the flavor of the natural probiotics in the beets- if the whey were left out) Apple cider vinegar or kombucha would also be options!

3. Pingback: Spring! « acupunctureapex

4. C.J. says:

Can I use my 2.5 gal fermenting crock to make beet kvass? Recommended amounts of beets? I’m thinking 6 lbs. And kefir starter I already have instead of whey? Would 1 pkg be enough?

• Dori says:

Hi C.J.-
      Yes, I think you are right on the amount of beets, but you might want to up the starter a little – perhaps 3 packets – or increase the salt content to make up for the lack of starter.
      Let me know how it turns out!
      Best wishes,
      Dori

5. C.J. says:

Dori,
    Will do! Many thanks for your help!

6. Dragonbreath20@ymail.com says:

Aloha I live in Hawaii and not always near places to get: Kvass
    How to make it. I note use water Keifer or whey
    So? If I,can find them what do you do? Can you add Kombucha ?
    Like add yeast and things like that? Mahao

• Dori says:

Kombucha tends to take over anything that it’s introduced into. I think it would give you a nice result, though not like this one!
      Best, Dori

7. apelila says:

I’m off of dairy, can I use Caldwells starter culture for vegetables or just sea salt?